Rugby night grabs headlines as Lions documentary airs in weeks and Irish star is forced to quit at 27

Here are the latest rugby headlines from Tuesday 5 April.

A documentary about the Lions will be aired

A documentary about the 2021 Lions series has been made and will air in a few weeks, but it’s unclear if UK viewers will be able to watch it.

A trailer has been released for the documentary series on SuperSport in South Africa. The tours have been synonymous with behind-the-scenes films that have lifted the curtains, starting with the iconic Live with the Lions in 1997. The announcement that it would be the first documentary in the series to offer hosts access as well as tourists offered a new angle to a format that had arguably grown tired.

However, it was once doubtful there would be a 2021 release amid pre-tour reports that Sky Sports, BT Sport, Amazon and Netflix all turned down the chance to buy the rights to the documentary last year. However, despite this setback, production company Whisper Cymru continued filming regardless.

And now it has been announced that the three-part series will air on South African channels SuperSport and M-Net on May 15. It is not yet known if the series will air in the UK.

The trailer shows glimpses of both sides in and around the moody Test series, ultimately won by the world champions. Captain Alun Wyn Jones, who overcame a shoulder injury to lead the tourists, can be seen boosted from his side ahead of the game, while Rassie Erasmus, who was eventually banned for his off-field actions during the tour, is very present.

People in the UK cannot watch the trailer.

Rising star signs new contract

Scarlets fly-half Sam Costelow has signed a new contract with the Welsh region.

The 21-year-old started to make his mark this season after signing with Leicester Tigers, producing a game-winner against Cardiff over the weekend. He made 25 appearances, scoring 112 points including five tries – including a superb individual effort in the Welsh derby.

He said: “I’m really enjoying my rugby here, the expansive style we’re looking to play suits my game and the decision to sign a new contract was easy. There’s a good group of boys here who get along. great and looking to improve every day.

Read more:Wales have a genuine new fly-half candidate to succeed Dan Biggar in the long term

“For me, it’s about working hard in training, continuing to learn and seizing opportunities when they arise. There’s a lot of competition at all levels with everyone pushing each other for game time and Dwayne has shown he has a lot of confidence in the young guys on the team and isn’t afraid to give them a go. chances.

“There’s a lot more to come from us and it’s exciting to be involved.”

Head Coach Dwayne Peel said: “Sam is an exciting young player who I’ve seen grow a lot this season. He’s still young and he has a lot to learn from him, but he continues to work diligently on his game in training and you can see him transferring on game day.

“He took his chance brilliantly against Cardiff, scored a great try and really stepped up and led the team well. I can’t wait to see how he plays out here at the Scarlets.

Costelow is following Sam Lousi, Rhys Patchell, Scott Williams, Ryan Conbeer and Johnny McNicholl as they strike new deals, with more re-signing news to be announced over the coming weeks.

Irish winger forced to quit 27

Ireland and Leinster third line Dan Leavy has been forced to retire with a long-standing knee problem.

The 27-year-old battled the injury suffered against Ulster two years ago and has now been advised by specialists to hang up his boots.

Leavy was a destructive force for province and country, earning 11 caps for Ireland and making 79 appearances for Leinster.

“I did everything I could to recover from my knee injury, but unfortunately there is nothing more I can do or ask my body for more,” he said.

Leavy was part of Ireland’s Grand Slam-winning squad in 2018 and has never lost a game for his country, earning a reputation as a powerful presence on both sides of the ball.

This season he has featured seven times for Leinster, helping them win the Heineken Champions Cup in 2018, with his appearance against Ulster last month the latest outing in a professional career that began there. eight years.

“I had some amazing highs with my brothers in blue and green and I’m beyond grateful for those days and times, especially the highs of 2018 in Bilbao, Aviva Stadium and Twickenham,” Leavy said.

“More than that, I’m proud of the way I’ve carried myself, especially in recent years.

“It’s not the ending I was hoping for, but looking back on the ups and downs, they’ve all been shared with the best teammates, family and friends around me. What more could you ask for?”

Cardiff will stay at Arms Park… for now

Cardiff Rugby has announced that a further three-year lease extension for Arms Park has been agreed with Cardiff Athletic Club.

The extension will ensure Les Bleus et Noirs will stay on the iconic ground until at least spring 2025.

It will also allow Cardiff Athletic Club to further explore the redevelopment of Arms Park and a long-term lease, which has been the subject of much debate. You can read more about the redevelopment plans here.

Cardiff Rugby chairman Alun Jones said: “We are really delighted to be finalizing this short-term extension with Cardiff Athletic Club and are grateful to them for their continued support.

“This extension allows the Athletic Club and its property company to exploit the redevelopment potential of the Parc d’Armes and to perpetuate professional rugby in the city centre.

“We look forward to offering the contribution of the company and the club’s supporters to any future development.”

Cardiff Athletic Club chairman Keith Morgan added: “We opted for a three-year extension at the end of 2020 due to the emergence of the Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting financial challenges.

“This is a sustaining lease as we seek to clarify the long-term situation. We want to redevelop and we want to have Cardiff Rugby here at Arms Park.

“We now look forward to further discussions on a longer term lease once the development situation is fully explored.”

Eddie Jones goes to Japan

Eddie Jones returned to his controversial role with Japanese club Suntory Sungoliath just over two weeks after England collapsed to another disappointing Six Nations.

The Rugby Football Union said they are comfortable with the work he is doing with Suntory, even if it means his head coach works with the best players from rival countries. This decision drew widespread criticism in the English media.

Last year, Jones advised New Zealand fly-half Beauden Barrett and on that occasion coached players including All Blacks star Damian McKenzie and Australian center Samu Kerevi.

The England manager is one of the highest-paid managers in international rugby, but for the past two years the Six Nations have presided over failed campaigns consisting of three defeats. The recent championship is currently under review by the RFU.

“Eddie is here right now to help us. He works hard. He doesn’t vacation here, that’s for sure,” Suntory coach Milton Haig said.

“He does some drills for us around our breakdowns and talks a lot to young players.

“He doesn’t do it because he wants money or praise, he does it because he has a long affiliation with the club and he wants to see the club progress and see young players progress.

“I think he enjoys really helping and not having expectations. That’s probably a bit of a rest for him in itself.

“I saw the kerfuffle that happened in the press there (last year) – they probably won’t like him talking to Samu Kerevi and Damian McKenzie right now.

“He’s a storm in a teacup – he’s just a rugby player and he’s really keen to talk to the rugby players and see what he can learn from them.”

Charles P. Patton